What is a large walk behind lawn mower?
A large walk behind lawn mower is a machine that, as its name implies, is used in gardening to keep the lawn at the desired level of growth.
The drive can be completely manual (rotating blades due to movement on the ground) or motorized (electric or a combustion engine, more specifically gasoline); there are even self-propelled options (tractors).
It is used to cut grass in all kinds of places, and the size of the machine is generally chosen based on the size of the park and the frequency of use.
Types of large walk behind lawn mower
- Manuals: They are light, designed for small fields since they require reviewing the fields to be cut. They consist of a cylinder with helical blades with a horizontal axis. This best wide walk behind mower cylinder is fixed to a pair of wheels and the mechanism is actuated with the push of whoever operates the cutter.
- Electric: They can be four-wheeled or have an adapter to attach to the body of the operator (these are usually edger, large walk behind lawn mowers for corners and edges), they have a plug to connect to electric current and have an internal motor with powers that vary between 750 and 1800 Watts.
- Combustion: This category also includes four-wheel models, but whose engine is powered by gasoline, so its autonomy is based on the capacity to store fuel that the model has. They are the most used in gardening.
- Tractors: They are actually mini tractors, whose combustion engine deals not only with cutting but also with the transportation of the machine and the operator who operates it. Its use is generalized for landscaping activities in large areas.
How a large walk behind a lawn mower works?
Depending on the model, the starting of the machine will vary, differentiating the electrical ones from the combustion ones in the energy used for their ignition: The top rated walk behind mowers electrical ones are connected to electric current, while those that work with combustion must have a tank with fuel.
At startup, the blades will begin to rotate (the number of blades the cutter has will depend on the model and size in question). The cut, as well as the number of knives, will depend on the model and can be transversal or diagonal.
Parts of a large walk behind lawn mower
- Engine: Here the internal combustion of the fuel applied by the carbonator is generated (in the case of combustion machines), or it is the electric motor that, once connected to a source of electrical current, turns the moving parts.
- Air filter: It is placed in the machine to allow a constant airflow, which improves combustion.
- Bearings: These are pieces placed between the internal parts of the cutter and their function is to allow the relative rotation of them during operation.
- Straps: They are attached to the wheels to improve their movement.
- Carburetor: In the case of a combustion engine, it provides the exact amount of fuel to mix and function.
- If it is the combustion, and it has a carburetor, then it will also have a spark plug.
- Oil filter: Protects the mower engine from possible contaminants or parts that alter its operation, such as metal or carbon fragments.
- Wheels: They are the ones that maintain the axis and control the movement of the cutters.
- Bag: It is a connected receptacle to collect the grass that the machine is cutting.
- Crank or Button: It is through which the cutter is turned on.
Caring for a large walk behind lawn mower
- Cleaning: At the end of the work, it is recommended to clean the blades of the blades, removing the grass and drying them, then applying oil or some lubricating grease to avoid possible oxidation. If the cutter is combusting, check that the container containing the gasoline is empty.
- Changes of pieces: When twisting or bending blades by impacts or blows of any type, the piece must be replaced quickly to avoid an imbalance in the machine and an incorrect operation of the cutter that can lead to the breakage of the axis of it.
- Air filter and bag: They must be checked, cleaned, and replaced regularly.
- Oil: The oil level when using combustion mowers should be high, as low levels will cause the engine to burn out.